Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pre-Race Rituals...

OK, its 10:10 pm and I really should be in bed, but as always the excitement and nervousness that a race generates for me has me wide awake!  You'd think I was really doing something, like winning part of the $10,000 pot that is available to the runners in the top categories...Instead I am only running against me.  I AM MY BEST COMPETITOR! 

Well, since I am full of energy, I thought I'd share the laundry list of things I do to prepare for a race.  No I don't believe in superstitions, however, I have not veered from these practices this year and so far, I have taken 6 minutes off my previous time in every race I've run and completed.  (BTW, that's big in the race world!:)  Also, the ponytail is hanging in there.  It just might work.  OK, let's see.... (in no particular order)
  • Drink half my body weight in H2O two days and one day prior to the race...Gotta stay hydrated (believe me, my body knows when it has enough water, and when it doesn't.  During those times I feel like quitting every mile)
  • Full body yoga stretch, throughout the week, but specifically the day before in the sauna at the gym (at least 20 minutes or more if I can stand the heat.)
  • Create my Ipod play list for the race
  • Eat a high-carb meal (tonight was pasta and shrimp with tomato basil sauce...yum-yum,) garlic bread and salad
  • A total coffee cleanse (won't give all the gory details...inbox me if you want to know the real deal!)
  • Shave, shave and shave.....(Somehow I think this makes me faster, doesn't Mike Phelps do that? :)
  • Prepare my travel bag and any injury equipment (tonight I am preparing my K-T tape for my tendinitis
  • Check my garmin and my Ipod and charge them if need be
  • Set the coffee pot...(Gotta get 16oz. of Joe in 30 minutes prior to race)
  • Try to get in bed in a decent hour (never works!)
Well, that's it I think...oh and now...BLOG...BLOG...BLOG!  Keep me and hubby in your prayers!.....Until the Springbok races again!

No comments:

Post a Comment