Saturday, October 26, 2013

Back In the Saddle!

 
Hey, it was really cool to run with my running crew this morning!  As I prepare for my next race, it is good to run strategies and thoughts about my form, breathing and etc. by people who get it!  Running for awhile has not been fun and more like a chore, even though my fro is on the go!  Shout out to all of my running naturalistas!  Natural hair rocks!  Anyways,  I think I have my dilemma figured out.  My breathing and HR have been out of whack.  I have been hitting max rate too often and using an erratic breathing pattern.  I have really wanted to increase my speed and I have been going about it all the wrong way.  I've been biking and running weekly and nothing has seem to work, until I recognized that that my anxiety about running had increased and it changed my whole perspective about my favorite past time and evidently impacted my form and breathing!
 
I am feeling better and today, I ran my whole 10.54 miles at a 9:14 pace with some rests while breathing primarily through my nose. I listened to a interesting podcast that changed my perspective about nose breathing, so I thought I'd share..... https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/how-do-you-take-in-more-oxygen/id535203893?i=164189486&mt=2
 
Patrick McKeown is the breathing expert that studies and uses the concept discussed.  His website is below:

"What if you could safely and legally improve endurance and performance?

Guess what? You can. And without training more or taking any drug or supplement. The secret to your success, your fitness, and your health lies in the most basic and most overlooked aspect of your workout: how you breathe."

Patrick McKeown

 

I thought it was interesting and worth a shot!  I also recognized that I have not been eating the best and my supplements have been sitting in the cabinet instead of being used!  I am back on B12 and I honestly don't feel as tired and I think I am going to try an iron supplement too!  I got that thought from this: http://camilleherron.com/2011/05/25/the-little-things-iron-supplementation/
 
Hope all is well!  It was really good to run with my buddies this AM and the wind and the cold air!  Hope you are feeling better Maria!  You never know how much you miss camaraderie until you don't have it.  Don't take your friends for granted!
 
Happy Running!  Until the Springbok breathes correctly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment