Monday, November 26, 2012

Strong Medicine.....

I was a sickly child.  Not too bad, however, I was hospitalized for scarlatina and one time as a toddler for taking my mother's weight control pills (I thought they were candy,....hush!)  I've had allergic reactions to lots of things, such as citric acid and cats. I've broken out in hives and a skin rash called Pityriasis Rosea. I used to say that I was allergic to Spring and there were several years that I didn't go a winter season without being treated for strep throat.  I am grateful, however because I realize that every time I suffered an illness, I was treated effectively with the appropriate medicine. Whether it was Benadryl or Penicillin, I was given the appropriate dosage so that I could become healthy.

I admit, I haven't been the best pill taker either. I still gag excessively to this date, when I have to take horse pills! Truth be told, no medicine really tastes good going down. Even when they try to put a cherry or bubblegum flavoring in my daughter's medicine, she still complains that she smell the meds!

With all of that in mind, I came across some really strong medicine this morning during my quiet time. I am sure I'd read it before, but it hadn't hit me so strongly......

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?  If you are not disciplined, then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.  Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!  Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:7-11 NIV84)

So here is the strong medicine: If you are not being disciplined by God for the wrong you do, then you might not be His!  Check out who your Daddy is first before you run around saying you are God's child and you are out doing whatever you want to do without conviction! Ouch! Is all could say to that, when it came to me.  

We have become such a liberal society that anything goes. A patient of mine said it best. "Yeah many of us say we are Christians, but it depends on how you spell it!" If we are using the name, but not taking on the family qualities, then we might not be who we say we are.  I've heard fathers say, "We are Joneses and we don't act that way!" Or, "In the Ramsey home, this is how we do this!"

I am afraid all too often, we are calling ourselves children of the Most High but acting like well...somebody else's children.  My mom asked me the other day, what is a non-negotiable in my life and she said it had to be personal.  That meant for example, for her abortion is not an option, but because of where she is in life, that stance really doesn't directly impact her.  My answer to her was that I don't plan on ever being a hypocrite again!  That is a non-negotiable for me!  And I've done my best to live that out this year.  To be honest, it hasn't been fun either.  I've lost friends and damaged relationships.  And while that saddens me, I recognize that making God sad by not acting like His child, was more damaging to whom I am, than what I have or haven't accomplished here on earth.


I heard a lady on the radio say that being a Christian might be the loneliest job on earth!  I understood where she was coming from and she concluded her statement by saying that just because you are lonely, doesn't mean that you are alone.

Strong medicine? Yep!  Does it taste bad going down?  Yep!  Does it even make you gag a little?  Yep!....But the rewards of health and well-being are so much greater!  The cool thing about God and His word is that He has a cure for every sin known to man.  If you are a liar, God is the truth!  If you are a cheat, He is a provider!  If you are unfaithful, He is faithful.  If you are selfish and self-serving, He is selfless and self-giving.  If you are cold and heartless, He is warm and heart-filled.  Your medicine isn't working!  Its like taking Robitussin for your diabetes!....Its pointless!

And whatever you do. do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he had done, an there is no partiality. Colossians 3:23-25 NKJV)

BTW,  I haven't forgotten about posting about my natural hair and running missions.  I will have something exciting to share really soon!......

Until the Springbok takes some more medicine......



No comments:

Post a Comment