Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lap Pace

I am so grateful that every time I run, I have the opportunity to learn and adapt to something new, regardless of if it is a good or bad run.  I have been running at some level since I was approximately 12 years old, but I still consider myself a student runner.

So, today on my run of 8.11 miles at 1:17:14 min and a 9:31 pace, I learned two valuable lessons.  First of all, I learned to settle into my "lap pace" versus my instant pace.  I even configured my Garmin watch differently so that I will no longer get caught up in the constant jumping around of the instant pace on my watch.  You might say, "so what?"  But for me that subtle change should make a difference.

Lap pace by definition is your average pace for that lap. On my watch a lap is a mile.  Lap pace simply takes the distance travelled thus far for that lap, your total time in transit for that lap – and calculates your average pace. (taken from http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/03/art-of-pacing-with-garmin.html )

The reason why this helps me most, is instead of worrying so much about what I am currently doing, I can now look at my performance from a more broad perspective and speed up or slow down according to what I want my pace to be over the whole mile.  I know, not rocket science! And even though I had the lap pace as a setting on my watch, I often was not choosing to look at it until it was too late to make adjustments within that mile.

That happens to be a life lesson for me also....what matters in the end has more to do with my overall performance, versus what happens from day to day.  Sometimes I will fail, sometimes I will succeed.  It doesn't get any simpler than that.  But if you are an over-achiever and an over-doer, that simple reminder might do you some good.

The second lesson came from my buddy Andy.  On the last half of our last mile, we were on a trail that was full of inclines and declines and he simply said, "This last part is just like life, sometimes its up and sometimes its down!"  Such a simple statement, but so true!  That was my fastest mile today (8:52.)  Maybe because I realized I was almost done, or maybe it was because that little reminder was enough to show me that I don't need to beat myself up about minor set backs or attack life all in one bite.  I need to take the rolling hills as they come and for me, believe that Someone else is watching over my course and knows the direction I am going!

Last but not least, on the way home I listened to another cool podcast, about female runners.  I found the tidbits and tips worthwhile!

In-depth Running Tips for Women: Interview with Dr. Carolyn Smith, Co-Author of Running for Women

Released Feb 10, 2013 via Runner's Connect (sorry, I was not wise enough this week to copy the link)
 
Upcoming race details coming soon....!

Until the Springbok takes the hills again!

No comments:

Post a Comment